Friday, August 19, 2005

South Beach Diet

A friend recently asked for my opinion on the South Beach Diet. I read Arthur Agatston's book and think is worth a read from anyone wanting to lose or control their weight. In my opinion, he starts you out in an Atkins-like phase of carb-busting, which lasts a couple weeks before you start to re-introduce "good" carbs. Then, from there, the diet seems very similar to the Zone in that you eat meals and snacks throughout the day and eat a mix of carbs, protein and fat to ward off hunger pains. Plus, he gives plenty of recipe options to use, though, I must admit, most of them seemed a bit more complicated for my tastes. I did, however, enjoy the various ricotta cheese desserts.

Of course, I also believe that there is plenty of valuable information in my book, "A Few Bites A Day" and "A Week in the Zone". Both books can be had for about the same price as the South Beach Diet. Still, all three can be purchased for less than $30 and are worth thousands of times that if they can help prevent health problems and lead to a happier, healthier life.

No comments: