Friday, April 04, 2008

"Core Motivation"

A few months ago, a writer for a local newspaper wrote about a meeting she had with one of the trainers from the Biggest Loser. The writer has struggled with her weight and often writes about it. The Biggest Loser trainer told her that the reason she hasn't been successful is because she hasn't found her "core motivation."

I thought that was interesting. I started thinking about what motivates me to keep the weight off, but I couldn't come up with anything profound. I simply don't care for being overweight. If that's my core motivation, fine. But, it's simple enough and it's not some deep seeded psychological thing that happened to me in childhood. Or, if it is, I don't know about it yet.

The more I thought about it, the less I liked the idea of "core motivation". To me, the concept is an enabling mindset - as in, it enables you to be overweight because you can use it as an excuse: "I just haven't found my core motivation yet."

I'm much more of the Nike mindset: Just Do It.

No comments: