Saturday, January 29, 2005

Excuse #1: "The BMI must be wrong."

When I first calculated my BMI (Body Mass Index) it was over 25, which basically meant I was fat. I didn't believe it. I was active and ate relatively healthy - I couldn't understand how I could be considered fat. I rationalized it by thinking that I was naturally thicker than whatever scale was used for the BMI.

Over time; however, I learned more about the BMI. I learned that it didn't necessarily mean I was fat. Rather it meant that my chances of suffering from a weight-related illness was much higher than someone with a BMI less than 25.

I also learned that men should probably be on the medium to high-range of the BMI, or 23.5 - 25 and women should be closer to the medium range of 22 - 23.

I decided to start losing weight as I was approaching a BMI of 30 (the low end limit of obesity). My initial goal was to get back to 25. I thought that would be about all I could do. Once I figured out how to take off the pounds, I made it down to 25 in about 3-4 months and kept going. I bottomed out around 22 and now keep it at around 23.2 - 23.5.

Now I'm a big believer in using the BMI to target your ideal weight range. But, I also think it's important to fully understand the BMI. To learn more about BMI and how I used it in my weight loss you can buy my book by clicking the link on the right hand side or Google BMI or Body Mass Index to read what others on the web have to say about it.

Calculate your BMI:
Weight (lbs) / Height (in.) / Height (in.) x 703

If your above 25, then you should definitely learn more about the BMI and make it a goal to lower your BMI to 25 or lower.

No comments: