Wednesday, January 07, 2009

January 7, 2009

Weight this evening = 140.2 pounds
Target weight = 137.5 pounds

"Other than the circus, nothing packs up and leaves town quicker than Christmas spirit" - Lifted from my local newspaper quote section the day after Christmas.

The holidays are over and the old routine is returning. Everything has trade-offs. Routine is boring, but it's comforting and makes it easier to exercise and eat right. I'm seeing a lot of New Year Resoluters on the trails and in the gym. The predictability is stunning. But, it's nice to have company in the dark depths of winter. I'll miss them in a few weeks.

If you're looking for a way to turn your New Years resolution into a life change, take it easy and slow. You must first strengthen your habit "muscle" by simply doing something. No need to be beach-ready by February. Make your goal for January to build the base of a sustainable routine by simply prioritizing the time to move your body at a moderate level. As you move your body more, you will feel comfortable in gradually increasing workout intensity over the course of several months to a year.

I'm still 140 pounds. So much for the Mexican food, water retention theory. My wife pointed out: too many Hershey's kisses (along with bad poor portion control). I didn't want to hear it, but, it was the truth.

My 7 kiss (special dark) per day (140 calories) habit has crept up to 15 (300 calories) to 20 (400 calories) kisses a day. Chocolate isn't the only culprit. The same slip in willpower on my Hershey's kisses has been present at meal and snack times as well.

I don't obsess over two pounds. It's simply feedback I'll act on. When your car drifts to the left you make a small correction by turning the wheel right to avoid catastrophe. That's what I need to do, make a small correction. I'd much rather do that now than in 20 or 30 pounds.

When my wife told me, I grunted and shrugged her off. My mind involuntarily came up with multiple reasons why it was okay. "Chocolate is good for you." "I'm exercising." "I'm still close to my target weight."

Now, I'm going to thank her.

No comments: